How to Prepare Your Roof for the Elements
Posted on: Friday August 23, 2019 at 11:56 AM
As residents of Texas, we are no stranger to the elements. The wind, heavy rains, and hail can cause serious damage to your roof. Whether you live in Amarillo, Dallas, or Fort Worth, it is vital that you regularly check for signs of roof damage and take the necessary precautions to protect your home or business. After all, a damaged roof can cause serious water damage and other structural damage. Storm damage is unpredictable, but Mr. Restore has a few helpful tips to help you minimize the damage (and related costs) to your roof during a storm.
Check for Pre-Existing Damage
Before you consider taking precautions for the next storm, you should examine the current state of your roof. There are many signs that will let you know if your roof is vulnerable to the weather's elements. Considering Texas has such versatile weather (extreme heat, heavy winds, intense storms), wear and tear are expected. However, if you keep your roof maintained and consistently check your roof for damage, it will help your property resist even the toughest storms.
- Check the condition of your shingles - Most roofs are covered in shingles, usually overlapping and made of a variety of different materials. Carefully inspect your roof to make sure there are no missing or broken shingles. Check to see if your shingles are cracked, broken, or curled. Hail and heavy winds cause shingles to fall off or crack. Broken or missing shingles can lead to leaks and water damage inside and outside the home.
- Water stains on your ceiling - If you have water stains on the ceiling inside of your home, this could be a sign there is already a leak in the roof. If you have an attic, be sure to check the ceiling and insulation in there as well. Sometimes the source of water stains are from pipes, not the roof, but you can tell if the source of the leak is from the roof if the water appears dirty. If it appears fresh, it is likely from a leaky pipe. Be sure to check the top floor's ceiling regularly for water stains.
- Check the condition of you flashings - Flashings are waterproof metal or plastic liners designed to prevent water from entering the inside of your home. They are used to redirect the precipitation away from your roof and are located at the intersections of your roof. Check to be sure that your flashings are not cracked or damaged, which could lead to further water damage.
After you have checked for pre-existing damage, you can begin to take the precautions needed to prevent damage caused by an upcoming storm to your roof. Many accidents and harmful incidents can be avoided during wind, hail, or rainstorm.
- Check surrounding trees - If you notice any tree branches that extend close to your home, remove them to prevent damage to your home. Call a professional or use a chainsaw to get rid of any nearby foliage that could harm your home. It is important that you trim all trees close to your property regularly to stay safe. Strong winds can easily cause the nearby branches to sway or break; these branches can projectile towards your home, damaging or penetrating your roof. Not only can these branches penetrate your roof, but they could break windows and damage the surrounding area.
- Clear out gutters - Many people forget about cleaning out their gutters and drainage systems, but it is very important to clean them regularly! Clogged gutters from leaves, dirt, and other debris can cause a back-up and result in an overflow of precipitation. This collection of water results in puddles collecting on your roof, which leads to water damage and leaks. A simple gutter scoop from your local hardware store works perfectly for cleaning your downspouts and gutters.
Unfortunately, even the most prepared roofs can suffer from damage. If you find your home suffering from water or storm damage, immediately contact Mr Restore. Dealing with storm damage to your home or business can have impacts lasting for weeks. Restoring your roof requires the aggressive, fast responding and repair service only Mr Restore can provide!