When a fire takes over your home, it is not only devastating but it can be costly. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, preventable fires caused 15.3 billion dollars worth of damage in 2015. Many households and commercial buildings are destroyed by fires that could have easily been avoided. Although Mr Restore is just a phone call away in case of a fire emergency, it is important to know how to keep you and your family safe. The following list describes causes of fires could have been averted.
- Cooking and Unattended Stoves
- Never leave a hot stove unattended – always stay in the kitchen when you are using heat to prepare food
- Avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking. Check to make sure all articles of your clothes (especially your sleeves!) are tucked away from the heat
- Ensure you have a smoke alarm in or near the kitchen
- Always use a timer when cooking
- Keep items away from the burner. Check to make sure extra ingredients, pot holders, paper towels, and cooking utensils are not near the burner