Summer Fire Safety Tips For Dallas
Summers in Dallas, Texas are filled with outdoor fun. From grilling outside with your friends to roasting marshmallows by a bonfire, Dallas’ warm weather is perfect for enjoying the great outdoors. It is important to keep in mind however, that many summer activities pose as a fire threat that could lead to serious fire damage. In order to keep your home and family safe this summer, you should practice fire safety tips and precautions to get the most out of your summer while remaining protected from fire damage.
Summer Grilling Tips
Outdoor grilling in Dallas is one of the most popular ways to enjoy the summer weather. Yet, both charcoal and propane grills produce possible fire hazards. In fact, according to the National FIre Protection Association, July is the peak month for grill fires. To be sure you are practicing safety while you host or attend an outdoor barbeque this summer, practice some of the following grilling safety tips:
- Be sure to only grill outdoors
- Keep the at least 10 feet away from any structures, including your home, deck, garage, or shed
- Be sure to always keep your grill clean of access grease. Clean your grill regularly after it is completely cooled to prevent buildup
- Never leave your grill unattended
- Be sure all children and pets stay away from the grill while in use
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately turn off the grill, back away, and contact the fire department
- If you are using a charcoal grill, let the charcoals completely cool before disposing them
Bonfires in Dallas are perfect for roasting marshmallows and hot dogs with friends and family on summer nights. If you are enjoying a bonfire at on a campsite or in your backyard, you should be aware that unkempt bonfires can lead to serious fire damage. Practice these bonfire safety tips to prevent outdoor fire hazards.
- Never leave the bonfire unattended
- Keep a bucket of water or hose around in case the fire goes awry
- Keep children away from the bonfire
- Know that throwing damp materials into the fire will lead to excessive smoke
- Find a way to keep the fire contained (be sure you are using a fire pit or have outlined the fire with rocks to keep the fire from spreading)
- Do not burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint. These products have serious toxins and chemicals that can cause the fire to explode and will produce dangerous chemicals in the air
- After the fire has calmed down, always spray with embers with water to to prevent it from reigniting.
Sparklers and pinwheels are popular during the summer, but can potentially cause fire damage and other threats. Remember, fireworks are prohibited in Dallas, Texas within 5,000 feet of the city. If you have legally purchased fireworks and are outside a 5,000 feet radius of the city, be sure the practice these tips while popping off fireworks:
- Be sure to be aware of your city’s local laws
- Read and follow all instructions carefully
- Keep a bucket of water near in case of emergencies
- Never allow children to play with fireworks and be sure to keep people of out range of the firework
- Never try to relight or reignite a firework if it did not work the first time
- Light fireworks on a flat surface, such as concrete. Keep it away from grass and leaves
Remember, stay safe this summer and follow all fire safety precautions. If you find yourself in the unfortunate event of fire damage in Dallas or surrounding areas this summer, immediately contact Mr Restore. We have over 50 years of fire damage experience and our expert technicians will ensure you and your family recovery quickly from any fire damage your property may experience. Mr Restore are a full-service restoration company, meaning we not only assess and fix the damage to your home but we also repair and build afterwards.