Summers in Dallas/Fort Worth area are very special. There are fun things to do, see and experience with your friends and family. However, there are many things to check for and be aware of during your summer festivities. Keeping up with the maintenance on your home is different in the summer versus other seasons.
Severe storms, preventable fires and floods can lead to costly damage to your home or business. Dallas is not a stranger to accidents and it is important to be prepared. Mr Restore cares about the safety of your family and preventing damage to your home. Check out some of our safety tips to prevent disasters to your home this summer.
How to Prevent Storm Damage During the Summer
Unfortunately, Dallas is prone to severe storms and tornadoes over the summer. In the event that Texas is expecting a storm or an emergency storm warning has been broadcasted, there are a few thing you can do to prevent weather damage to your home. Check out our guide on how to spot signs of an approaching storm.
- Prepare your yard – Secure the hatches and trim any large branches or trees that could possibly damage your home during heavy winds.
- Seal your windows and doors – Heavy water from storms can leak into windows or doors that are not sealed properly. This can lead to severe water damage.
- Clear your gutters and drainage system – If a gutter or drainpipe is clogged, the water from heavy rain cannot pass through. This backed-up water then floods into your home.
How to Prevent Water Damage During the Summer
There are many things that can contribute to water damage, but there are very specific things to look for in the heat of Dallas’ summers. With the air conditioning running and the sprinklers on blast, staying cool can have unpleasant consequences. Check out our guide on how to prevent damage:
- Change the HVAC air filter every month – Consistently using your AC to cool your house can lead to excessive moisture and condensation. Be sure to check your unit for any leaks and ensure it is working properly.
- Inspect your roof – Inspecting your roof for any problems can prevent leaks and water damage from summer rain.
- Regularly check pool water – pool water can often overflow and cause chemicals to spread throughout your property. Maintain your pool water levels and be sure to check that the chemicals are balanced.
How to Prevent Fire Damage During the Summer
The warm weather will have you and your neighbors grilling outside all summer long. However, outside grilling is often a culprit of preventable fires. There are many causes of preventable fires year round, but there are specific things you can do to keep summer grilling safe. Remain alert and practice these safety barbeque tips:
- Never leave your grill unattended
- Remove grease build ups by cleaning your grill after every use. The National Fire Protection Association offers a tutorial on how to properly clean your grill.
- Only use your propane and charcoal grills outside
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home or deck.
- If you smell a strong odor of gas, turn the gas tank and burners off. Have a professional check the grill to be sure there are no gas leaks.
In the event that your home or property is damaged from a fire, flood, or other catastrophes this summer season, contact Mr Restore for a quick and cost-efficient recovery. We are a full-service restoration company in Dallas and surrounding areas, meaning we not only assess and fix the damage to your home but we also repair and build afterwards. Rest easy that we will walk you through the entire process, so you can focus on enjoying the summer season with your family!