Is It Safe To Enter My Home After a Fire?

Is It Safe To Enter My Home After a Fire?

You may think that after the fire has been put out and the smoke is gone, that re-entering your home is safe. Although the yellow tape may be gone, your home is still filled with Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) created when things in your home are burned. Yes, the flames are gone, but many of your home goods continue to produce poisonous gases and particles that are hazardous to breathe in. Some of these hazards create immediate problems. Others take years to take effect. That’s why you should never enter your home after a fire and leave it to the professionals who understand post-fire environmental hazards. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) Think about everything that burns in a house fire: the fabric from your clothes and cleaning chemicals found beneath the kitchen sink. Even more dangerous items that may be in your home include pesticides and automotive fluids in the garage, plastics, fiberglass, and electronics throughout the home. Even smaller items are dangerous when exposed to fire, such as medications and baby products. As these products burn, they produce toxic chemicals in the smoke and later as released gases. Some of the most common toxins in smoke include: Acrolein Arsenic Benzene Chromium Dioxins Formaldehyde Furans Hydrochloric acid Hydrogen cyanide   Many of these chemicals, such as hydrogen cyanide, are so lethal that they are used by the military. If the military used such chemicals as weapons, you can feel confident that you don’t want them in your own lungs. If you want to reduce the amount of VOCs in your home, this link has some great tips and what you...