Proudly Serving Dallas-Fort Worth and Surrounding Areas
Find a Location
Mr. Restore now has offices in Dallas-Fort Worth, Amarillo, and Oklahoma City.
The holiday season is the most heartwarming time of the year, but it can also be a dangerous one if you are not careful. Unfortunately, home décor fires are not uncommon this time of year. These may result from faulty electrical systems or unattended fire hazards such as candles, fireplaces, and space heaters. With that said, there are some things you can do to protect your home and your family from these types of accidents. Below, this fire damage restoration company in Moore, Oklahoma is going to provide some tips that will help you avoid a house fire during the holiday season.
Make sure you are cooking with care during the holiday season. Keep things like packaging materials, oven mitts, towels, wooden utensils, and festive decorations away from the stove to prevent fires. Also, keep an eye on any dishes you are cooking on the stove or in the oven — unattended cooking is one of the leading causes of kitchen fires.
You shouldn’t have any items or decorations lying around the fireplace, as just a single spark could potentially cause a fire. Although it may look nice, you should refrain from setting up holiday decorations near the fireplace. Do not leave fires unattended, open the chimney when using the fireplace, and make sure your children or pets are a safe distance away. Also, as any reputable fire damage restoration company in Moore, Oklahoma will suggest, make sure you clean the chimney and fireplace thoroughly before using it.
Carefully read through the instructions before setting up your holiday decoration items — especially with items that require electricity. Also, make sure you keep candles far away from any flammable items, like a Christmas tree.
If you are using an outdoor light display, you’ll want to make sure all the equipment is suitable for outdoor use. Any cords, lights, and blow-up displays in your yard should be specifically designed for outdoor settings. Keep things away from water, outdoor furniture, or doors and windows. Also, make sure there is no exposed wiring that could potentially spark a fire.
Some people like to celebrate Christmas and New Year with fireworks. However, as any fire damage restoration company in Moore, Oklahoma will tell you, fireworks need to be handled with great care. You should never try to relight failed firecrackers, and you should never leave kids unsupervised with fireworks.
If safety is your top priority, we recommend investing in a fire-resistant, synthetic Christmas tree (and ornaments) to avert the risk of fire. If you pick out a real tree, make sure you water it regularly. Place it a few feet away from any electrical outlets, and refrain from overloading the outlets in the area. Also, make sure you turn off the tree lights before going to bed.
Once all your décor is in place, and the safety measures are taken care of, do not forget to inspect the smoke alarms. If there’s a house fire, your smoke alarms will be the first line of defense. As the premier fire damage restoration company in Moore, Oklahoma, we recommend installing smoke alarms in the bedrooms, near the kitchen, in the living room, and in the hallways, and testing them monthly to make sure they work.
Many ERs nationwide are flooded with fire victims this time of year due to décor mishaps. By following the tips reviewed above, you can help make sure your home remains safe throughout the holiday season.
If you’ve experienced a fire in your home, and if you’re looking for the top-rated fire damage restoration company in Moore, Oklahoma, look no further than Mr. Restore. Contact us today at 877-631-7576 to learn how we can help.
December 30, 2021
December 25, 2021
December 20, 2021