Many homeowners have a habit of using DIY methods in their households for many different things. When it comes to water damage restoration in Dallas, TX, many homeowners also opt to DIY it. The major belief is that this helps them to save money. However, with DIY, mistakes are very common, particularly if someone is doing it for the first time. Even seasoned DIY people can make a few mistakes that can cost them a lot of time and money to rectify. The following are some of the most common mistakes made during DIY water damage restoration in Dallas, TX :
1. Waiting for Too Long
When dealing with water damage, many people have a tendency to wait a bit. The general belief is that they will wait a bit to let the water drain on its own or settle. However, this is the wrong approach to take here. With water damage restoration in Dallas, TX, time is of the essence, and you need to work quickly. In fact, restoration services must be applied effectively and quickly during the first 48 hours of the flooding to make a significant impact. If you wait for the water to settle or to start to drain, there is a higher chance that it will seep into the surroundings, like the walls, the carpets, and more. Waiting will increase the water damage, and it will be difficult to restore anything easily.
2. Forgetting to Assess the Damage Properly
A major part of effective water damage restoration in Dallas, TX, is to assess the extent of the damage done, including the water type. Based on the kind of water and the location of the water damage, humidity, and more, the situation can fall into the following different categories and classes:
- Category 1 – This relates to the water damage caused by clean water. It is usually safe to handle on its own without any problems.
- Category 2 – This is water damage caused by dirty or muddy water. It's best not to handle it without proper safety precautions until you determine the source of the pollution.
- Category 3 – This is when water damage occurs because of sewage water. It is also black in color and can have a strong odor. Exposure to it can cause skin irritation or lead to other diseases.
The class of water damage restoration in Dallas, TX, is based on the location and extent of the water damage that has occurred.
- Class 1 – This is usually the easiest to DIY on your own. It relates to water damage done in a small area with clean water.
- Class 2 – This relates to water damage that occurs because of flooding in a large area, such as the living room or basement. The water is usually less than two feet.
- Class 3 – This is the most difficult class for DIY water damage restoration in Dallas, TX. Water usually seeps in from the roof and impacts the walls, the flooring, and the roof.
- Class 4 – In class 4, it is impossible to handle restoration on your own. It usually relates to flooding that submerges certain areas of the house. Water that has pooled in an area for some days can be class 4.
If you start doing water damage restoration in Dallas, TX, without categorizing them, it is very likely that you will end up making mistakes.
3. Not Taking Proper Precautions
Without taking proper precautions, there is a high probability of disease. In Category 3, Class 4 water damage, this is possible. Additionally, precautions are needed to drain the water effectively. If you're just dumping the water anywhere, such as your lawn, you're just polluting that area with dirty water. You also need to make sure that there are no live wires. You also have to turn off the electricity and the water supply to effectively contain the area. Keep all pets and children away from the area. They are more likely to suffer if they come in contact with any hazardous material in the water.
4. Using Poor Techniques
This is one of the biggest problems with DIY water damage restoration in Dallas, TX. Many people don't know the proper techniques to use. For example: To dry up the water, heat is strictly forbidden. Applying heat might make the water evaporate, but it creates more humidity. The heat and humidity will also encourage the growth of mold, particularly in areas such as the sub-level of your flooring or the walls. Instead of applying heat, water has to be dried by means of fans and dehumidifiers. Using poor techniques will end up causing a lot of damage. In the end, when you do approach the experts to help you out, there will be a lot of issues that need to be rectified.
5. Lack of Proper Equipment
Water damage restoration in Dallas, TX, makes use of a lot of equipment that not everyone has access to. From large, specialized fans to water vacuums and more, a large number of specialized equipment is needed. You can rent them out on a per-day basis, but they can end up being very expensive, particularly if you end up having to use them for a week or more. Instead of shouldering this expense, it is a better idea to approach the experts for their services. Many experts have the right tools, know the techniques, and can restore your home properly without any problems.
Work with Mr. Restore
If you are searching for experts for water damage restoration in Dallas, TX, you should get in touch with Mr. Restore . With years of experience, they can easily correct different issues and ensure that you don't suffer from a lot of water damage. With emergency services also available, you can rest assured that you can get their help anytime. Get in touch with them today to get a quote on the water damage in your home.